Monday, June 9, 2014

memories #4                                                  



                                                   HORSE SENSE

     Growing up in Durango, Colorado during the 1950s and 60s was wonderful.  Only 7 to 8000 people, a train that took tourist once a day during the summer months 50 miles north to Silverton and some of the most scenic country in the world, skiing during the winter and the Spanish trails fiesta in the summertime.  The Spanish trails fiesta was a week long celebration with parades, horse races and carnivals.

     We lived on the out skirts of Durango during my early youth just north of the LaPlata County Fairgrounds.  The fairgrounds were a grand expanse of horse stalls, a football and baseball field, corrals and a race track.  One of the true landmarks of old Durango, the fairgrounds was the home to many activities.  Durango high school used the football and baseball fields and the old timers Association, a little league type organization for baseball, used two fields on the complex all summer.  Many a horse race was staged on the track and various rodeos took place during the year.  At least two carnivals a summer were showcased and a grandstand capable of holding several thousand people was the largest part of the complex.  It wasn’t unusual to find the neighborhood boys searching underneath the stands for money dropped from the seats above during some event.
La Plata County Fairgrounds

     Living only a couple of blocks away from this grand monument brought kids from nearby for exploration and play.  Three of us used to this complex every summer for several years.  Carol Meyer, a girl three years older than I, and Jimmy Kelly, my age, visited the fairgrounds frequently.  We went to admire the horses, search for money under the stands or just waste time.  Carol had her own horse, a mare named Andrea that she kept on her property across the alley from our house.  Occasionally, she would ride and we learned how from her and Andrea.  Carol was knowledgeable in all things concerning horses and was very patient with little boys wanting to emulate Roy Rogers and Gene Autry.

     On a mid summer day, with nothing on our agendas, Carol took her horse to the fairgrounds for a ride around the track.  Jimmy and I followed.  Carol gave us a lesson on putting on the saddle and cinching it tight.  Off she went, galloping around the oval track.  Jimmy and I begged a turn.  Carol gave in but only on the condition we put the saddle on to test our knowledge of the lesson given.  She took the saddle off and I quickly jumped in front of Jimmy to be the first.  
Here comes heartache on the inside

First the blanket then the saddle.  With all parts in place, a tight pull on the cinch strap was given to secure the saddle.   What I didn’t know was that many horses extend their bellies when the cinch is tightened.  If one is not careful, the saddle will remain insecure.  I pulled tight and then mounted the black mare.  Off we went at full gallop and I was enjoying every moment.

     As we came around the last turn, the saddle begin to slip.  The tracks inside rails were to my left, the direction the saddle was slipping.  Andrea liked to run close to the rail.  I felt my heart beat as the saddle continued to slide around the horse.  Soon, I was watching each rail post barely missing my head as I hung on for dear life.  I look like a rider doing tricks but this was no trick.  With nothing but a prayer, I held on hoping for a miracle.  Carol suddenly appeared in front of her horse encouraging Andrea to stop.  What a great horse!  Stop she did and I quickly hit the ground getting away from the rail.    I looked at Jimmy and, regaining my composure, said,”next”.  Jimmy refused.  I never rode Andrea again at the fairgrounds but I did learn to pull the strap a second time to ensure it was secure.  I guess you could call it horse sense.



     

No comments: