Sunday, July 13, 2014

memories #22

                  If Called By A Panther, Don't Anther                                            

                                                                                                           Ogden Nash

     Here is my dilemma!  When attending a Demon - Panther event, which team should I root for?  I was a student and an athlete for one and a teacher and a coach for the other.  I was a part of each system for 12 years each.  For one system I studied, practiced and learned how to defeat my rival.  For the other, I taught and coached and used similar tactics to defeat my alma mater.  


     The football field, the high school gym, and the baseball diamond were the battlegrounds for each school.  It was here that we would be tested for our skills against each other.  Both students and coaches would be judged on the outcome of each contest.



     As a panther or a demon it was a thrill to represent your school.  Whether it was the orange and black of the MCHS panthers or the red and white of the DHS demons, these colors and mascots would instill pride.  


      Pride and tradition comes in many forms.  On the floor of the Cortez high school, just inside the doors, is a mosaic picture of a black panther.  As an athlete representing the Durango demons, I have never entered the building through those doors.  This was the main entrance to the building.  Athletes and coaches entered a different door to the building.  My senior year I was not playing for the team during basketball season.  My entrance to the building would be through those main doors.  As I walked across the panther mosaic, two large hands lifted me up and off the panther  I turned and looked into the eyes of Melvin Cone.  Melvin was a big strong athlete who represented his school and his community positively.  


     "Mick," he said, "No one walks on the panther, especially a demon," he chuckled.  There was no way I was going to cross this behemoth of a man.  The last game we played against each other, Melvin ran over me like a train without breaks.  Besides, Melvin and I got along well.


     "No problem Melvin," I answeerd and proceeded to the gym.  I left Melvin standing guard over their precious mascot.


     Not all confrontations ended with understanding and respect.  The class of 62 represented each school and did so with class and many of us became friends but still opponents.  But the class of 61 and the class of 63 found other ways to represent their school.


     There are good guys and bad guys in every confrontation.  How the rivals get along depends on the characters involved.  Each side will declare their side as the good guys.  


     For the class of 1961 the good guys/ bad guys for each school

can be named.  The Bonaventura twins, Leon Turnell, and Jim Jonas against the Sucklas, the Tanners and the Shipleys.  All year long these opponents fought not only on the field but off. 


     The class of 1964 had several characters on both sides, but only one name stands out in my memory,  The Flintstones.  Two brothers that caused havoc.


     Quiz time!  See how many you get right.  Answers will be either a mascot (panther or demon) or color (black and orange) or (red and white).


          This one can raise hell

          This one has pouncebility
          You can get burned with this one
          This one has claws
          This one's weapon can also be used with hay
          These colors might represent a barber pole
          Halloween colors?
          Color of the cat that crosses your path?

     Finally a rhyming puzzle.  Winner gets bragging rights.

Directions:  Complete the following rhyming cheer with the correct rhyming word.

     "Red an White ____   _____   ____"

     "Black and Orange _____  _____  _____"

     Now back to my dilemma.  At the time I was at each school, the choice was easy.  I rooted for the team I represented.  But once  away from both the decision was more difficult.  I had made friends with some of my former rivals.  We had worked to become citizens in our communities, but also citizens in our state and nation.  We had comman ground and respect for each other and each other's abilities.  


     I must admit that I still favor the Red and White over the Orange and Black, but only just a little.  The rhyming quiz might have given away my allegiance to the Red and White.  The object of the quiz was to put my opponent on defense. Had I changed the wording on the final rhyming cheer, the contest would have remained even.  I respect and acknowledge the efforts of the Black and Orange and will root for them against any other team except the Durango Demons.


     

          
          

     


     


      



     

No comments: