Tuesday, January 27, 2015

  memories #16

    Dedicated in the memory of my friend  and the class of “62”                                 

                                                                     BRUCE

      Bruce was a friend from elementary school through high school.  We shared teachers, friends, coaches and jokes. We learned basketball at  Needham elementary school from Coach Wells, Monte Pat’s father.  We learned about baseball from Coach Lee.  Our football coaches were those we had in high school, head coach Jim Spruill and his assistants, Stapp, Colbert and Yanowich.  Bruce was by far the better basketball player.  I think I was the better baseball player and we probably were fairly equal in football.  

      From the third grade to graduation, Bruce was a friend.  I remember jokes he told in grade school.  We all laughed and Bruce told another one.  Laughter again!  I’m sure that some of his jokes I didn’t understand and had to be explained to me.  Bruce was quick witted with puns and
stories.  He had a great sense of humor.

     He help me with basketball on the concrete outside of the cafeteria floor inside.  Everyone liked Bruce.  I don’t think he had an enemy in the world. Through high school, if you were around Bruce, he made you smile.  After graduation we went our separate ways.  We carried a little bit of Bruce with us all.
     Bruce reappeared on my radar at our 40th class reunion.  He had been hospitalized with a heart condition, so I was told.  I remember thinking I should go see him but the activities of the weekend kept me busy touching base with other classmates.  We all went home to our jobs and families.  Bruce was released after the activities at ended.  I never got to see him!

     At that time, Bruce and I lived in the Phoenix, Arizona area.  While chatting with classmates, I heard that Bruce was still in Arizona and was playing golf.  I made a couple of attempts by email to arrange a round or two with him. Bruce emailed me that would love to as soon as he took care of some things.  I didn’t get back to Bruce for a while.  Always there were family and job that needed attention.  What I didn’t know was that Bruce was very sick at this time.

     Years went by without any more efforts to set up a golf date.   I wondered which of us was the better golfer.  I really wasn’t that good, but on some days I could hold my own.  Once again Bruce appeared on my radar.  Fred Klatt wanted to set up what we referred to as a “mini reunion.”  We were to meet at a restaurant in Phoenix.  Attending would be Randa Taylor, Karen Sue Brennan, Bruce and his wife Sandy, Fred and Jeannie, and me and my wife, Donna.  Before all the arrangements had been finalized, I received one more email from Bruce informing me once again that, “as soon as I get a few things done we would play.”


     On the day of our mini reunion, I arrived with my wife anxious to see these old friends.  Fred still looked like the Fred I remembered except both his hair and his mustache were white as snow.  I followed Fred into the restaurant and met Randa and Karen.  They also looked good.  At the back of the table sat Bruce with his wife Sandy.  I’m sure my jaw must have dropped to the floor.  Bruce was a sick man.  Time was the one thing Bruce didn’t have.  All of us sat there chatting and catching up with each other’s experiences over the past years.  I sat at the opposite end of the table from Bruce and couldn’t hear a lot of the conversation he was having with those close to him.  I watched Sandy as she watched over Bruce with loving care.  I finally got around where he and I could talk.  He shook my hand and I felt a good grip from him.  As we talked, I felt remorse and ashamed that I hadn’t done more with Bruce.  All the opportunities were there.  Always I had an excuse.  Now time was running out.

    We left the restaurant and returned home.  I couldn’t get Bruce out of my mind.  Something kept telling me I needed to see Bruce again.  I didn’t have time for any more excuses.

     I received another email from Bruce thanking us for the mini reunion.  He said, “thank you for coming Mick.  You are so tall and stout and I’m so drawn and small.”  I cried....

    A few days later I learned that Bruce was in the hospital again.  It was Father’s day and my son was expecting us that afternoon.  I told Donna to go on in the other car.  I would be there soon but I needed to see Bruce again.  That little voice kept pushing me.  Time was short.

     I located Bruce’s room and entered.  He was talking with his brother Tom when I peeked around the curtain.  Bruce turned and our eyes met.  “Mickey!  How good to see you”.  He took my hand and shook it.  He may have been frail but the grip was still strong.  Bruce introduced me to his brother, Tom.

      “ I’v heard that  name, “Tom said.  

     “I hoped it was about good things”, I said and winked at Bruce.

     We immediately began talking about Durango and the fun we had there growing up.  All of this being aimed at brother Tom, as if he were the witness to what we said.  He was our audience and we were the actors.  We talked about elementary school and the huge snowstorm we had one winter.

     “They had plowed the streets and pushed the snow to the middle.  Soon it was so high you couldn’t see the other side of the street, “Bruce explained to his brother and I nodded in agreement. Bruce’s eyes twinkle as we exchanged some events of long ago when we were young and invincible.

     During another stormy winter we reminisced about the snow at Needham school.  We built snow tunnels from one snow fort to another.  The teachers couldn’t find us when recess was over.  We laughed some more.  Durango was a great place to grow up.  We all agreed.

     I didn’t stay long.  Bruce and his brother needed some time together and I needed to be at my son’s house.  I had wanted to talk some more about junior high and Mr. Caldwell, the Koss brothers, Ed Brown, our first varsity road trip to Grand Junction, and...and....and.... I would be back in a few days.  Excuses.  Bruce died two days later.  He had blood clots in his lungs.
Karen Sue and Bruce

Tee um up my friend
     At the memorial Sandy was gracious to all of us.  There were lots of people I didn’t know who knew Bruce in a life past high school.  But some of us knew him growing up in that time was precious.  Looking at pictures of Bruce doing things all of us do. One picture stood out from the rest.  A picture of Bruce with a little more weight than he should have and a full beard.  His eyes were twinkling with that wonderful smile.  I thought, “Santa Clause”  He was happy then and I knew we would see each other again.
     “When I get there,” I thought, “He would have a tee time on those heavenly links for us.”   We will have time for this one.  No more excuses!







     

No comments: